Today, January 17, 2018, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) updated the Open Payments dataset to reflect changes to the data that took place since the last publication on June 30, 2017. The updated dataset is now available for viewing at https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/.
CMS updates the Open Payments data at least once annually to include updates from disputes and other data corrections made since the initial publication of the data.
The refreshed Open Payments Data Set includes:
- Record Updates: Changes to non-disputed records that were made on or before November 15, 2017, are published.
- Disputed Records: Dispute resolutions completed on or before December 31, 2017 are displayed with the updated information. Records with active disputes that remained unresolved as of December 31, 2017 are displayed as disputed.
- Record Deletions: Records deleted before December 31, 2017 were removed from the Open Payments database. Records deleted after December 31, 2017, remained in the database but will be removed during the next data publication in June 2018.
- The following is not included in the data refresh:
- Any records submitted to the Open Payments system for the first time after the close of the Program Year 2016 submission window (March 31, 2017).
- Any records that were disputed and for which dispute resolution resulted in a change to the covered recipient.
Note: Updates not included in the refresh are due to the requirement that covered recipients must be provided an opportunity to review data attributed them for accuracy. For more information about the Open Payments Program timeline, visit www.cms.gov/openpayments
This financial data was submitted by applicable manufacturers and group purchasing organizations (GPOs).
Improved Open Payments Website
The Open Payments website (https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/) has been enhanced to increase user accessibility, improve user experience, and provide a more robust search tool.
These enhancements include the following features:
Overall site redesign, featuring a redesigned home page
The homepage has been reformatted with a new look and layout, featuring an updated search bar that allows users to search by physician name as well as teaching hospital and reporting entity. The new layout is designed to better organize existing site content as well as highlight new pages and additional site content.
Fully mobile responsive site
The site is now fully mobile responsive allowing users to view the site in full on smartphones and tablets.
Redesigned “Facts About Open Payments” page
This section now includes upgraded table format displays.
Map Search Feature
This feature allows users to view search results via a new map feature. Users may also search by address (e.g., full street address, city, zip code, etc.) and limit search results based on distance/ radius of specified location.